Ta da! The Laundry/Mudroom is now complete! The bench was finally installed this evening.
As I mentioned earlier, the last missing item in the mudroom was the bench. I decided to take a woodworking class and build the bench. The bench is made of 3 pieces of poplar glued together and then sanded smooth and cut to size. It was a fairly simple and straightforward project in that the bench didn't need legs or a back. It's supported by 1x2 cleats that run around the niche, plus the corbels (brackets) at the ends. Still it took me most of the 10 weeks of class time to finally finish the thing. Plus I had to paint it after I got it home. I was worried about getting the bench into the space since it's a tight fit with the door casing and bookcase trim getting in the way. Tristan tapered the ends just a tad and we got it in on the second try. Add a little bit of caulk around the edges and voila!, I think it looks pretty good!
Laundry/Mudroom: Wall paint: Kittery Point Green (HC-119); Trim/Woodwork/Ceiling paint: Simply White (OC-117), both by Benjamin Moore; Hooks: Baldwin Costume Hook 0782; Bench Corbels: Cumberland Woodcraft; Flooring: Crossville Strong VS105 Nero porcelain tile - 6x12 (discontinued); Baskets and picture frames: IKEA.