Thursday, February 15, 2007

Get Ready to Trim!

Wow, I can't believe it. A problem with our trim order actually worked in our favor.
The millwork shop (The Moulding Co.) called to say they didn't have 20 foot lengths for our side casing, so could we please recalculate and revise the order.
Well, naturally since I have so much time on my hands, I'd actually been rethinking our order. I had just blindly assumed every door/opening could accomodate a 4 1/2" wide casing. But as I realized with the pantry door, sometimes you have switches that get in the way. Fortunately, I had my handy dandy Excel worksheet with me, so I raced thru the house checking every door and marking on the spreadsheet exactly what width casing worked.
I feel like I dodged a bullet! Now we won't have to rip (cut lengthwise) any of the side casing which is really hard to do cleanly especially since we don't have a table saw.
With President's Day, plus Ski Week, plus the two bookend weekends, I've got 9 days to work on trimming the doors. Plus I've got Tristan for 5 of those days! (Hope that's ok Tristan!?!?) Can we do 31 openings in that time???
Unfortunately, I've learned never to overestimate our abilities, as well as underestimate the potential problems.

No comments: